Image via Wikipedia
One thing is certain about becoming a parent; you will acquire some medical knowledge along the way. Children are prone to various conditions and moms and dads need to recognize the signs of some of these illnesses. In addition, they will need to know when a visit to a doctor is necessary.
There are many over-the-counter (OCT) medications that can provide relief from certain ailments. However, the problem lies in knowing when to use OTC meds and when to seek medical attention. This calls for recognizing certain symptoms that can spell trouble when a child is sick.
Symptoms to Look Out For
Some symptoms in sick children that warrant a visit to the doctor are:
- Having a fever over 102 degrees Fahrenheit that last over one day if the child is older than three months old. Consult the pediatrician for a fever in babies younger than three months old.
- A persistent cough that lasts longer than two days for children older than six months old.
- Difficulty breathing
- Vomiting and diarrhea, whether together or alone
- Listlessness and loss of appetite
- Obvious pain or discomfort that is unaccounted for
With many childhood illnesses home care can help but professional medical attention can lead to quick recovery. On the other hand being slow to get the right treatment can cause more serious conditions. For example a cold can lead to pneumonia or a small scratch can become infected.
Generally mothers tend to have a gut feeling about their children and their health. They should never ignore these feelings when it comes to seeking treatment for their kids.